M.D. Candidate, June 2014
Michigan State University
College of Human Medicine
East Lansing, Michigan
B.S. (High Honors) Physiology, May 2008
Michigan State University
College of Natural Science
East Lansing, Michigan
Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association (EMRA)
Chair, Medical Student Governing Council, April 2013 to Present
- Represented the EMRA Medical Student Council at SAEM 2013 in Atlanta, Georgia
- Introduced resolution that was adopted by the EMRA Representative Council to remove the cap on the number of medical student votes, increasing medical student voting power on the Representative Council by over 50%
- Served as a representative on the “Medical Student Advising Task Force,” a collaborative venture between EMRA, CDEM, CORD, and more
- Made several improvements to the Medical Student portion of the EMRA website, including a new mentorship registration system & improved navigation tools
Web-Technology Coordinator, March 2012 to April 2013
- Transformed the regional newsletter program from a non-standardized plain text format that reached only 250 contacts into custom-themed communication campaigns that now reach more than 2000 medical students interested in pursuing Emergency Medicine, leading to a 20% increase in membership over the past year.
- Oversaw transition to new website content management system (www.emra.org) and beta testing of new EMRA smart phone applications.
- Represented the EMRA Medical Student Council at SAEM 2012 in Chicago, Illinois; ACEP 2012 Scientific Assembly in Denver, Colorado.
Michigan College of Emergency Physicians (MCEP)
Director, Medical Student Leadership Initiative, October 2012 to Present
- Recruited members from all medical schools in the state of Michigan to serve on the inaugural MCEP Medical Student Council
- Working with MCEP Staff and our MCEP Board Liaison, Dr. Jacob Manteuffel of Henry Ford Hospital, to plan a medical student track of programming and residency fair at one of MCEP’s Annual Meetings
Emergency Medicine Interest Group (EMIG)
Chair, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, April 2011 to July 2012
- Responsible for coordinating two suturing clinics, an intubation lab, an E-FAST portable ultrasound clinic, and an advanced procedures lab in conjunction with our local residency program
- Involved in the organization of our pre-clinical Emergency Medicine elective course
American Medical Association Medical Student Section (AMA-MSS)
Region 5 Secretary-Treasurer, June 2012 to June 2013
Michigan State Medical Society (MSMS) Delegate, April 2013
Region 5 Webmaster, August 2011 to June 2012
Section Member, August 2010 to August 2011
- Created website for and co-organized the AMA-MSS Region 5 Annual Meeting in Grand Rapids, Michigan on February 1-2, 2013 (www.region5ama.com), the largest AMA-MSS regional meeting ever held, with more than 200 medical students representing 5 states. Featured speakers included Marsha Rappley, MD, Dean of the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine and Chair-Elect of the AAMC Council of Deans; Jeff Rich, Executive Director of Gundersen Health System’s Envision Program; Patch Adams, MD, Founder and Director of the Gesundheit Institute; and Ardis Dee Hoven, MD, President-Elect of the American Medical Association. As Region Secretary-Treasurer, communicated with meeting sponsors and oversaw a meeting budget of nearly $40,000.
- In the two years spent as web master, we more than tripled the number of subscribers to our newsletter by overhauling our website and communication management system with a focus on AMA member involvement at a regional level.
- Served as a Section Delegate representing Michigan State University’s College of Human Medicine at the AMA-MSS Interim 2012 Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, as well as at the AMA-MSS Region 5 Annual Meeting 2012 in Toledo, Ohio.
- Introduced and passed a resolution at the 2013 MSMS House of Delegates in Grand Rapids, Michigan to extend protection of genetic information nondiscrimination laws to apply to disability, life, and long-term care insurance
TEDMEDLive Michigan State University, Event Host, April 2013
- Responsible for obtaining interdisciplinary speakers from Michigan State University, including Joanne Westphal, Landscape Architecture, “The Healing Landscape: Therapeutic Outdoor Environments”; James Trosko, Pediatrics and Human Development, “Global Health Crisis is the Result of a Collision between Biological and Cultural Evolution”; and Evangelyn Alocilja, Biosystems Engineering, “Prognostic biosensors for elderly and global health care”, who delivered lectures to a live audience of MD, DO, DVM, and undergraduate students
- Worked very closely with speakers to ensure their presentations met TEDMED design standards so that their presentations would be featured on the TEDMED website and increase the visibility of our university to a world-wide audience
MSU CHM Pre-Clinical Technology Committee, Co-organizer, 2012
- Worked with MSU College of Human Medicine administration and other students to open up a formal on-going dialogue between students and IT support staff
- Advocated for the adoption of the latest version of course playback software, obtained funding to provide students access to color printers, advocated for 24 hour access to study room computers and print services, and increased limits on the number of copies and total number of pages students are allowed to print at one time to make it easier to print study guides and group materials.
American Medical Student Association, Chapter President, 2011-2012
MSU CHM Office of Admissions, Student Interviewer, 2010-2011
EMRA Outstanding Medical Student Council Member. Awarded at the EMRA Spring Awards Reception on May 17, 2013 at the SAEM Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.
Best Poster Presentation by a Medical Student. Mid-Michigan Regional Research Day. Awarded on March 28, 2013 in Lansing, MI.
Research Assistant, May 2013 to Present
Sparrow Health System, Lansing, Michigan
Principal Investigator: Brent Felton, DO
“Factors associated with the development of hypotension following antibiotic administration in normotensive patients who present to the emergency department with sepsis as defined by two of four SIRS criteria and a presumed source of infection.”
Study Coordinator, October 2012 to Present
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Lansing, Michigan
Advisors: Clare Luz, PhD & Henry Barry, MD
“Public Stroke Knowledge: Does a Link Exist Between the Presence of Risk Factors and Knowledge of Warning Signs?”
Research Assistant, August 2008 to March 2010
Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, East Lansing, Michigan
Principal Investigators: Thomas D. Sharkey, PhD. & Yair Shachar-Hill, PhD
Genetic engineering of developmentally-timed starch accumulation for biofuel crop plants and metabolic flux analysis of cell wall biosynthesis by isotopic labeling and LC/MS/MS.
Undergraduate Research, June 2007 to March 2008
Michigan State University, Zavodszky Lab, East Lansing, MI
Principal Investigator: Maria Zavodszky, PhD
Investigation of scoring functions for predicting protein-ligand binding in silico.
Publications & Presentations
Jarou, ZJ. “An Evidence-Based Approach to Colorectal Cancer (CRC) Screening in Average-Risk, Asymptomatic Adults,” Preventative Screening Seminar, Family Medicine Clerkship, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, June 4, 2013.
Jarou, ZJ et al. “Public Stroke Knowledge: Does a Link Exist Between the Presence of Risk Factors and Knowledge of Warning Signs?,” Critical Appraisal and Analytical Medicine Seminar, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, April 17, 2013. http://www.slideshare.net/zachjarou/public-stroke-knowledge-does-a-link-exist-between-the-presence-of-risk-factors-and-knowledge-of-warning-signs
Jarou, ZJ et al. “Public Stroke Knowledge: Does a Link Exist Between the Presence of Risk Factors and Knowledge of Warning Signs?,” Mid-Michigan Regional Research Day, Lansing, Michigan, March 28, 2013.
Jarou, ZJ et al. “Acute Ischemic Stroke (AIS) & IV tPA,” Integrative Health Policy Seminar, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, April 4, 2012. http://www.slideshare.net/zachjarou/health-policy-use-of-iv-tpa-for-acute-ischemic-strokes
Weise SE, Aung, K, Jarou, ZJ et al. “Engineering starch accumulation by manipulation of phosphate metabolism of starch.” Plant Biotechnology Journal (2012), pp.1-10. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-7652.2012.00684.x/abstract
Jarou, ZJ, Weise, SE, Sharkey, TD. Plant Growth Analysis & Time-Lapse Characterization of Starch Metabolism Mutants, Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center Annual Retreat, South Bend, IN, June 3, 2009. http://www.scribd.com/doc/21127682/Plant-Growth-Analysis-Time-Lapse-Characterization-of-Arabidopsis-Starch-Metabolism-Mutants
Weise, SE, Jarou, ZJ, Sharkey, TD. Engineering the Timing of Leaf Starch Accumulation, Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center Annual Retreat, South Bend, IN, June 3, 2009. http://www.scribd.com/doc/84964794/Engineering-the-Timing-of-Leaf-Starch-Accumulation
Jarou, ZJ. “Time-Lapse Characterization of Arabidopsis Starch Metabolism Mutants,” YouTube Presentation, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-XSnuuXFE4, April 17, 2009.
Jarou, ZJ. “Measuring Leaf Area with Adobe Photoshop CS3,” YouTube Tutorial, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3O-V6WLw0g, April 15, 2009.
Weise, SE, Jarou, ZJ, Sharkey, TD. Engineering High Starch Corn Leaves, Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center Annual Retreat, Wisconsin Dells, WI, October 2008. http://www.scribd.com/doc/8123646/Engineering-High-Starch-Corn-Leaves-Poster
Jarou, ZJ. Personal Genomics as a Double-Edged Sword: The Promise for Medicine & the Perils of Discrimination, 11th Annual National Undergraduate Bioethics Conference, Union College, Schenectady, NY, April 4, 2008.
Computer & Internet Skills
Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator; Microsoft Office; MailChimp; Google Forms; PHP/MySQL